Whether it is a wedding, educational conference, or business convention, meetings and events bring people together for a common purpose. Meeting, convention, and event planners work to ensure that this purpose is achieved seamlessly. They coordinate every detail of events, from beginning to end.
The event planner creates programs that address the purpose, message or impression that their organization or client is trying to communicate.
An event planner is someone who co-ordinates all aspects of professional meeting and events. They often choose meeting locations, arrange transportation and coordinate other details.
An event planner will typically do the following:
- Meet with clients to understand the purpose of the meeting or event
- Plan the event, including time, location, program, and cost
- Solicit bids from places and service providers (e.g. florists, caterers or photographers).
- Work with the clients to choose where to hold the event and whom to contract for services
- Inspect places to ensure they meet the client’s requirements
- Co-ordinate event services such as rooms, transportation, an food services
- Co-ordinate with on site staff for details and ongoing work
- Monitor event activities to ensure the client and event attendees are satisfied.
- Review event bills and approve payment.
10 Steps to Get You Started With Event Planning
· Develop Event Goal and Objectives
· Organize a Team
· Set a Date
- Brand Your Event
- Create a Master Plan:
- Determine Administrative Processes
· Identify and Establish Partnerships & Sponsors
· Create a Publicity Plan
· Establish a Budget
· Determine Evaluation Process
The qualities of a good event planner can include:
- Business Acumen
- Customer Service
- Time management